The Church of St. Martin in Landshut is a medieval church in that German city. This Brick Gothic church is the tallest church in Bavaria and the tallest brick building and church, and 2nd tallest brick structure in the world (after Anaconda Smelter Stack), made without steel supports, with a height of 130.6 metres.
Construction of the church began around 1389, under the architect Hans von Burghausen. The exact date for the beginning of construction of the church is not well-known, but its construction was first noted in the city chronicle in 1392. The building was completed in 1500.
The church was built from brick and mortar. Five thousand wooden stakes were used for the foundation. The stakes are located completely in the groundwater, in order to delay rot caused by bacteria.
With a height of 130.6 m (428 feet), the church tower is considered to be the tallest brick building in the world. In the year 2001, St. Martin’s Church received the title of basilica minor from the Pope in Rome.
The church is built in Gothic style, demonstrated by the pointed shape of its windows and arches.